Martin Carlton, Executive Chef & Owner
Marty’s Cafe & Marty’s Provisions
Truckee – California
From a young age, Chef Marty Carlton liked to eat well and share his passion for good food and unique tastes with others. While growing up in a large family of 7 and spending time with his Grandmother, who maintained a small herbal and vegetable farm, Marty found his passion for food.
Marty started cooking at the age of 15 at local restaurant in Los Angeles and after graduating from a Los Angeles Culinary School, Marty worked in several restaurants including Peninsula Hotel of Beverley Hills, L’Orangerie, Ma Maison Hotel of Beverley Hills and Brentwood Bar and Grill.
After a decade in Southern California, Chef Carlton picked up his bags and moved to the East Coast where he became the Executive Chef for renowned restaurant, Seascapes in Kennebunkport, Maine. There he received 4.5 stars from the largest newspaper publication in Maine, the Portland Herald, that stated Seascapes was ‘the place to be.” Downeast magazine of Maine rated Seascapes as one of the top restaurants in New England and quoted Chef Carlton’s outlook as “always respect the front door,” referencing the frequent high-profile residents of the area. During his 8-year stint at the award-winning restaurant, Marty was contacted by the Bush Management family to frequently prepare meals for President Bush Sr. and his wife Barbara.
In the New England off-season, Marty would travel south where he consulted and opened restaurants across the Eastern Seaboard including Cafe Max in Pompano Beach, East City Grill in Fort Lauderdale, and Max Lager’s in Atlanta Georgia. Marty also spent part of his off-season time cooking at famous restaurants throughout Manhattan, New York City.
Chef Carlton has been a pioneer in serving French-California cuisine at affordable prices. He says the secret of cooking at Marty’s Cafe is about “simplicity at it’s finest; using common ingredients that the everyday customer can recognize, while still trying to be innovative.”
- FINALIST “GREAT TASTE OF MAINE LOBSTER“
- FINALIST “GREAT CHEFS OF NEW ENGLAND”
- CHEF CONSULTANT “RESORT AT SQUAW CREEK” Lake Tahoe’s AAA Four-Diamond resort
- TEAM CHEF – 1989 CALIFORNIA RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION – BOARD OF DIRECTORS DINNER
- IMPROVE FOOD QUALITY RATING 59% to 93%
- INCREASE A LA CARTE SALES – SIX MO’S 120%
- DESIGNED A SMASH-HIT SOLD OUT BRUNCH MENU FEATURING 17 PIECE JAZZ ORCHESTRA – SERVED 800+
- CERTIFIED SERVSAFE FOOD PROTECTION MGR
- STAN ABRAHAM’S DESIGN – OPENED A PREMIER RESTAURANT W/ HIGH-PROFILE KITCHEN DESIGN CONCEPT
- 2007-09 REGULAR GUEST CHEF APPEARANCES ON SACRAMENTO MAJOR NETWORKS
- KENNEBUNKPORT, MAINE – PREFERRED CHEF TO FIRST LADY BARBARA BUSH
- DOWN EAST, FEATURED CHEF IN NEW ENGLAND’S LARGEST PUBLICATION
- WINE SPECTATOR “AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE” – SIX YEARS
- LA TIMES – THREE STARS – “THE PLACE TO BE”
- GUEST INSTRUCTOR: OXNARD CULINARY COLLEGE
- DINING & DOING, FEATURED CHEF – FAVORITE PUBLICATION FOR SANTA BARBARA & VENTURA